A 30.000 pies por viajeros para viajeros

What documentation do I need in order to travel?

It's important to check the documentation you need for flying beforehand in order to avoid last minute surprises. Here is a list of basic documents that you may need on your next trip.

  • Information on Brexit (updated on 5 January 2021)
    From 1 January 2021, EU citizens do not need a visa to travel to the UK, for short stays. British citizens travelling to the EU for short stays do not need a visa either. You can find all the information on documents required for your trip and more here.
  • National Identity Card or passport: ID documents may vary according to your nationality and destination. For example, if you are an EU citizen you'll only need one of these two documents on domestic flights or within the EU.
  • Visa: Some countries require it. For example, if you're not an EU citizen, you'll probably need a visa to enter the EU. Look for information on the website of the embassy or consulate of the country you're travelling to.
  • Driving licence: If you're travelling to an EU country all you need is a driving licence issued in the EU. If you're going to drive in a non-EU country, check with your country's traffic department.
  • European Heath Insurance Card: If you're travelling in Europe make sure you bring your EHIC. This will save you time on paperwork if you get ill.
  • Travel insurance: Even if you have the European Health Insurance Card, we recommend taking out travel insurance with medical cover. Very important: don't forget to bring your policy documents.
  • Vaccinations: Find out whether you need any vaccinations before travelling, and if you do, don't forget to take the certificate with you.


  • Check the expiry dates on your documents in case you need to renew them.
  • Keep up to date with your airline's latest news, via email for example, as they may inform you of regulation changes that may affect which documents you need to bring.
  • Look up the details of your country's nearest consulate in the city you're travelling to. You'll need to know where it is in case you lose your identity documents, for example.
  • Save a digital copy of your documents, too: your plane tickets, hotel bookings, insurance policy, etc. so you have a backup in case you lose anything.
  • Minors, whether they travel accompanied or unaccompanied, may need additional documents, like permission from their parents or guardians. Ask the airline operating the flight about the required documentation. If you're flying with Vueling, get all the information at Travel documentation.

If you have any questions, ask the airline operating your flight, the airport authority or check the official IATA website.

Have a nice trip!

Most popular

How to find the best car hire deal

Finding affordable car hire doesn’t need to be complicated. You j…

more info

Zero-waste travel is possible and we tell you how

Yve Ramírez, AKA La Ecocosmopolita, author of the book “Vida resi…

more info

Tips for flying with an infant

First flight with your child? While it may all sound great in you…

more info